Important: You will be saving your post twice -- first with the moderation state of “Draft,” then again with the moderation state of "Needs Review." If you skip this, your post will not be seen by the editors.
- On the navigation menu, click on Blog and select "Create a Post."
Enter your content
- Write an original article of up to 1,000 words about any science or science in policy topic.
- Propose a short title that piques a reader's curiosity. Good titles often include an action verb, a question, a number, or a play on words (e.g., “3 Reasons Why Bottled Water is a Losing Proposition").
- Lead-in image:
- Use your own original photo/video/graphic, or find one that is FREE to use. (See this article from Inc. magazine (link is external) for sources of free images.) Follow the instructions on the source website for how to credit the image. If you cannot find one, the editorial committee will choose one for you.
- Give your image file a name that hints to its contents (e.g., IMG-hot-air-balloon.jpg). [IMG = image.]
- Image should be 1600 px wide by 500 px tall (or scaled according to those dimensions).
- You must include a title, alt, and credit/attribution info via the media loader.
- Body: If you copy and paste your article from a word document, please "select all" and clear it of formatting prior to pasting. This will remove extraneous coding. It's the icon that looks like Tx on the right below.
- Don't forget: The last sentence of your text is the image credit line. Example - "Image: Portal PBH, Flickr."
- Tags: Fill in the "Tags" field with one or two succinct terms that describe the content of your blog. This will auto-populate with tags that already exist, or you can write in a new one (less ideal). Separate tags with commas.
- Click 'Edit' to return to your blog draft.
Add Author Information
- Click on the "Relationships" tab at the bottom to add your name in the "Author" field, and to add the names of fellows mentioned in the blog (if any). For podcasts: interviewers/hosts go in the Author field. This will auto-populate, so as you type you will see suggestions in a drop down list. This searches only by first OR last name, not both. (If you have trouble, try entering the last name.)
Save your draft again and preview it. When you are satisfied, update the moderation state from "Draft" to "Needs Review." This will send your post to your peer editors for review. Your post will not move any further without it.
Thanks for submitting!