What are expenses?
Any item being reimbursed or paid from travel/training dollars is an expense and must be approved prior to incurring.
Meal and Incidental Expenses (M&IE):
What are incidentals:
The Federal Travel Regulation Chapter 300, Part 300-3,under Per Diem Allowance, describes incidental expenses as: Fees and tips given to porters, baggage carriers, hotel staff, and staff on ships.
- Registration fees.
- Visa fees.
- Bank transaction fees.
- Bag fees.
- Parking fees.
- Toll fees.
- Vaccination costs.
Misc. Hotel Expenses:
- Phone charges (Business use only).
Acceptable Receipts/ Payment Documentation
- Airfare Documentation: Booking invoice or E-Ticket Itinerary receipt listing all necessary charges, flight information, and payment confirmation. Please attach boarding passes to booking invoice when submitting TER.
- Train Documentation: E ticket /receipt displaying the date and time of travel, destinations traveled, confirmation of payment, along with attached boarding passes.
- Taxi Receipts: Receipt displaying the date of transaction and fare amount paid. If possible, please have cab driver include destination and tip amount on receipt or make note of it on daily travel form.
- Metro/Subway Receipts: Receipt displaying the name of company, transaction date and fare amount paid, along with confirmation of payment. A bank statement displaying the date, purchase description, and total amount will suffice if no receipt was issued.
- Rental Car Documentation: Rental contract attached with receipt displaying the total amount charged for entire rental period along with payment confirmation. Documentation for rental approval must be attached as well.
- Itemized hotel folio listing daily room charges and fees, along with any other necessary expenses that were added to grand total.
- Hotel folio must show confirmation of payment along with a ZERO balance listed on the date of departure.
- Transaction Fees: A valid bank statement is deemed suitable as long as the date, description, and fee amount is indicated (underlined, circled, or highlighted) on statement.
- Registration Fees: Valid document/E-receipt that includes the name and date of event, event description, and confirmation of payment.
- Misc. Hotel Fees (Internet, Printing/Faxing, etc.): Should be listed on hotel folio under the given date these services were rendered. Otherwise, a bank statement with expense indicated (underlined or circled) will suffice.
- For all other necessary misc. expenses, an original itemized receipt will suffice.
Unacceptable Receipts/Payment Documentation
- Flight/train itinerary that does not include a confirmation of payment.
- Flight/train quote or estimate.
- Trip insurance (if ticket purchased through Concur, there will be a credit).
- A receipt that does not’t display the date, fare amount, and/or indication of a taxi/shuttle/metro company.
- Non itemized receipt/folio displaying only the final total of all nights stayed.
- Any documentation other than a hotel issued folio will not be accepted for reimbursement.
- Non-itemized receipts showing no indication of what was purchased. For foreign travel receipts, you must provide a description on daily travel form for receipts displayed in a foreign language.
- 1st class /business class upgrades.
- Entertainment services (television service, headphone rental, WIFI usage [for personal use]).
- Parking tickets.
- Driving violations/citations.
- Rental car upgrade.
- Limousine service.
- Hotel tours.
- Spa/massage services.
- Non-food related gift store purchases.
- Store purchases that are non-food related such as medicine, deodorant, laundry detergent, magazines, etc.
- Clothing items.
- Gifts, souvenirs, personal entertainment services.
- Expenses incurred on personal days.